You may have seen me tweet or post Instagram photos as I work on getting my headstand game up recently and thought I was crazy, or wondered why I was going back to my roots of performing these in the playground.
As you may or may not know, I had a major setback with my fitness and am still in recovery mode at present. I’m not able to train and whilst I’m now able to run, I have lost my running mojo which hasn’t been helped by my knee. So while pottering around, I saw a yogi posting some really cool forearm poses and decided I would work on getting to that stage again by first working on my balance while toning my arms, shoulders, back and lightly on my core. Balance is to me very important in general as it means body and mind work better together.
After a few days into what is going to a month long challenge, I decided to research the benefits of headstands when practiced properly. I discovered the following:
1. It is very good for the digestive system, the pituitary gland which is important in creating energy is stimulated whilst chilling upside down.
2. The lymphatic system is improved; lymph fluid is a major player in building the immune system.
3. Helps your brain! With the blood flowing towards the brain easier, it gives it stimulation when endorphins are released, enhances concentration as well reduce anxiety and stress.
4. Boosts cardiovascular and lung function.
5. Improves strength in the neck, shoulders, back and core region of the body.
I’m seven days in and I have to say it has been quite fun. When my mum isn’t shouting “boo!” Or “she fell over,” I am seeing improvements already. Will be nice to see how far I get by day thirty.
** update** to make sure you’re doing it correctly, best you give this link the once over